[pct-l] San Jacinto, 111 and the Palm Springs Tram

If one were to travel eastward, from LA to the Arizona border at Blythe,
and on to Phoenix, it would be on Interstate Hwy 10.  If, on the way,
one wished to see the cities of Palm Springs, Cathedral City, La Quinta
and Indio (and about a half dozen other small towns) all the way down to
the eastern shores of the Salton Sea, it would become necessary to leave
the 10 and take state hwy 111.  This juncture occurs within a half mile
of the 10 off-ramp at Verbenia.  (
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/images/dist8.gif )  Verbenia is within
a quarter mile of the PCT crossing of the 10, just south of the Pink
Motel.  The side road to the Palm Springs Tram is one of the first along
the 111, after leaving the 10.

If one desired to reach the tram from the PCT on San Jacinto, pick up
the trail east to Little Round Valley from the PCT along Fuller Ridge.
 It's about 2.5 miles to the peak, and from there, another 5 miles to
the upper tram station.  FWIW, the upper tram station is at an elevation
of 8500 ft, and the lower at 2400 ft.

I am not aware of any climbing opportunities along the 111 unless it is
climbing on San Jacinto itself.  Google "Snow Creek Jacinto" and there
will be several trip reports of Alpine style climbing up that steep
face.  The 111 itself is a rather tedious piece of asphault that winds
through one business district after another, rarely reaching speeds
faster than 50mph.  There are canyons off the highway, and I'm sure
there would be bouldering possibilities, but nothing I've ever heard of.
 If you were to follow the 10 eastward, you would pass the southern
entrance to Joshua Tree and as another poster wrote, there are hundreds
of published climbs there.