[pct-l] Hitchhiking

Eric's post with a website link, _http://www.digihitch.com/_
(http://www.digihitch.com/) , appears to be  about hitchhiking and road trips all over the
world. There's a great article  with guidelines about picking up hitchhikers,
including "location, location,  location"; pasted in this email are my rules for
hitchin'. You'll notice my Rule  #5 addresses "location".
    Below is a MS Word 2000.doc, which I can't attach  due to PCT-L
restrictions, so I'm pasting it; I think one could repaste it  back to a Word.doc, to
save it as file on your computer; it fits on 1 page with  .5 inch margins. The
formatting on Rule #10 got messed up when I pasted it  into this email;
hopefully, you can correct it when you repaste; it's all  supposed to be 10 pt
Ariel.
    I wrote this for Wingfoot's AT website a long  time ago; I don't think he
ever posted it, but I figured that was just because  of the way Wingfoot is,
or was, or whatever. Feel free to use it or pass it on

BOB?S 10 RULES FOR  HITCHHIKING
Over the last 25+ years  I?ve done a lot of hitchhiking to and from trails. It
?s amazing how many  hitchhikers one sees that don?t use any common sense
when thumbing a ride. My  rules help to get a ride as quickly as possible, and
to make sure that ride is a  safe one. Rules 1-6 deal with getting the ride;
Rules  7 - 9 deal with accepting the ride and making sure it's a safe one; and
Rule 10  deals with helping the rest of us get rides.
1. ALWAYS USE A SIGN: Your credibility  is greatly increased, because it lets
people know you have a definite  destination and what that destination is.
2. MAKE THE SIGN READABLE: People in  cars must be able to read your sign at
60 mph. For instance, the common practice  of black lettering, with narrow
stroke letters or numbers, on brown cardboard is  almost unreadable; I feel that
black lettering on a white sign is probably the  most readable. Make your sign
at least half an 8.5x11 inch sheet, or larger;  don't use paper, because it
comes apart quickly if wet and is hard to hold up in  a wind. I use 8.5x5.5
inch, white card stock, which can be burned at the first  safe opportunity on the
trail. Use a permanent black marker and make the width  of the letter or
number strokes as wide as possible.
3. THINK  ABOUT WHAT THE SIGN SAYS: Keep the sign to 1-3 words; at 60 mph
people  can?t read more than that. Don?t use a sign saying Appalachian Trail,
for  instance, when you?re 150 miles from the trail; put a larger town close to
your  destination on the top half of the sign, and perhaps a smaller town
where you  have to change highways or AT on the bottom half of your sign. If
necessary, use  more than one sign for each hitch, to keep the words at 1-3 per
sign. When you  get to that small town or side road off an Interstate, for
instance, pull out  another sign with another small town on the top and Appalachian
Trail on the  bottom; you?re closer to your destination, and more local people
will know where  that small town is and maybe where the AT crosses the
highway.
4. ALWAYS  BE STANDING UP & HAVE YOUR BACKPACK STANDING & VISIBLE: If it
looks like you?re a hiker, and not a drifter, your credibility increases. Try to
avoid having your face in the shadow of a hat brim; people need to see your
face; and try to look as presentable as possible. Put on some clean clothes,
so  you stink as little as possible. I have lots of patches on my pack; they
are  always visible; and I believe that helps my credibility.
5. POSITION YOURSELF TO MAKE IT EASY FOR SOMEONE TO  STOP: Don?t stand where
there?s no room for a driver to slow and safely  get completely off the road
to stop; one commonly sees hitchhikers standing  where there?s no shoulder for
a hundred yards, in curves, right before a bridge,  or on the wrong side of a
traffic light or stop/yield sign. Don?t stand on the  stopping side of a
traffic light or stop/yield sign; those drivers won?t pick  you up when there?s
traffic piling up behind them or they're in the wrong lane.  If you?re on the
other side of an intersection, they have time to become aware  of you while
stopping/yielding, judge your credibility while stopping or  slowing, and look for
a place to safely stop near you.
6. ALWAYS  CARRY A GOOD HIGHWAY MAP & KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AT ALL TIMES: Carry
the map in your hand when you walk up to a potential ride, so you can show
the  driver exactly where you need to go and to increase your credibility. Know
what  highway numbers you?re looking for, so you don?t seem confused when
talking to a  potential ride. Before you get in a vehicle know exactly where or
how far that  driver can take you, and confirm it on the map. Getting into the
safety aspects  of hitching, keep the map in hand while riding, so the driver
knows you?re  paying attention to your location.
7. WHEN A  POTENTIAL RIDE STOPS, GET YOUR BRAIN IN GEAR: When walking up to a
 vehicle, make mental notes about the vehicle: color, make and model, and
license  plate state and number; quickly write down at least the license plate
info, on  your map or sign, if possible. Pay attention to how many people are in
the car,  how they act, and how they're dressed. Look at their face,
behavior, and  demeanor; think about how the vehicle smells. For instance, are they
drinking  alcohol or smoking marijuana, or can you smell marijuana or alcohol?
Take a look  at what else is in the car; are there cans or bottles on the
floor, for  instance? I once walked around to get in the rear seat, driver's side
of a  vehicle, and found myself putting my feet on 3 guns in the rear floor
well.  Lastly, you don't necessarily want to get outnumbered; hitching by myself,
I'd  probably ride with a couple, 1-2 females, but not 2 males, unless I felt
very  comfortable about them. It's a gut feel or decision, admittedly, but
the next  rule, well, rules ?
8. IF YOU  FEEL AT ALL UNEASY ABOUT THE PEOPLE OR SITUATION, DECLINE THE
RIDE: There's no other way to put this, and nothing else should  have to be
explained. If you've accepted a ride, but begin to feel uncomfortable  with the
situation, use any excuse to terminate the ride. Again, you just have  to use
your judgement.
9. DON'T  RISK LOSING YOUR PACK: (My brother was hitching in northern Italy,
riding with 3 guys - Mistake #2; his suitcase was in the trunk, because it
was a  small car with 4 riders; he got out and shut the door, but the driver had
not  gotten out to unlock the trunk - Mistake #3; and they drove off with his
stuff,  including his steamship ticket home. What was Mistake #1 you ask? He
stole my  Dad's silver dollar collection before he left for Europe, making it
very  difficult to call home for help.) Keep your pack with you in the
vehicle, if  possible; be very careful to not damage a vehicle while getting your
pack in or  out; and try to get in or out with a very good grip on your pack. If
your pack  is in a trunk or the back of a pickup truck, get the driver to help
you lift it  out, to prevent damage of course; you set the precedent for this
by getting the  driver to help you lift the pack into the vehicle.
10. HELP FUTURE HITCHHIKING HIKERS: At the end of the ride, say, "thank you",
profusely, more  than once. During the ride, talk to your benefactor(s); ask
reasonable  questions: where you're both from, your hiking experiences, their
name for your  journal (also a safety measure), and anything else to make them
feel good about  hitchhiking hikers.

Bob
Big Bend Desert  Denizen
(Naturalized Citizen, Republic of  Texas)