[pct-l] Glacier Peak bypass

You are so very right.  And that's just the brush maintenance -- there's also fires, blowdowns, landslides, flooding, and erosion to contend with.  There simply would not be a trail without the work of those who maintain it.  I'm in awe of, and deeply grateful for what they do.

-=Donna Saufley=-

-----Original Message-----
From: eyakel@earthlink.net
Sent: Jan 24, 2005 4:55 PM
To: dsaufley@sprynet.com, j rhoades <yawho_hiker@yahoo.com>,
	Judson Brown <judson@jeffnet.org>,
	"pctl (E-mail)" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Glacier Peak bypass

Thank you Donna for your insights.  The small section of trail that I sponsor through the PCTA and Forest Service near my home in Chihuahua Valley is 7 miles long.  In 2001 or 2002 Pete and his crew did a significant part of this small section.  The trail width was cut at about 10-12 feet.  It is now only 2005 and we have had drought years until this year.  In spite of limited liquid refreshment the chaparral in this section has reclaimed all but about 1-2 feet of trail tread.  AFter this years rain, I believe that small trail tread will be overgrown also.  Pete mentioned that they attempt to get back to each area about every 4-5 years.  Without the help of these trail gorillas, there would be no trail to hike in much of southern california.   Eric Yakel