[pct-l] High Tech Hiking

With all of the comments recently on high tech gadgets on the trail I thought
that it might be interesting to note that a typical ultra-light hiker will be
almost completely dressed in oil . . . well, oil derived materials; nylon and
other synthetic fibers in most of todays great fabrics for shorts, shirts,
fleece, hats, sunglasses, packs, socks, shoes, shoelaces, poly bottles.  Then
there is the sleeping pads, the tents or tarps in silnylon.  Many of the
trekking poles have oil-based handles and aircraft aluminum poles and tungsten
carbide tips!

Thinking back to Muir's day, NONE of this existed.  Even aluminum was not
used much in his day and tungsten carbide had not been recognized as a material
to be used in high friction surfaces.

And, unless you rode a bicycle or horse to the the trail head, oil got you
there also.

Ah, the beauty and eloquence of silk, bamboo, wood, leather and cotton.
Tradeoff of character for weight, beauty for function, tradition for modern,
classsic for mundane.

Support your local oil company, go ultralight!

No, instead, go classic, go with a wood frame - cotton pack - ultaheavy
weight system.  Throw back, throw back!

Greg Hummel
Geologist
Armstrong Petroleum Corp.

"As long as I live, I'll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I'll
interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I'll
acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of
the world as I can. "
            John Muir