[pct-l] Technology on the Trail -ties

> >  Why
> > on earth do people wear ties?

Ties

I have to respond to this one.

Last year I watched Lynn Weldon's video on ultralight backpacking.  He
claimed "This video will change your life."  referring to how I would view
anything I possessed.  Besides reducing pack weight I sold a lot of stuff
on Ebay and donated a lot of stuff to thrift shops I really didn't need.

The tie?  Most useless piece of gear.

Because of the benefits I have received from this video, now I question
everything.
Saturday morning, while putting on a tie, I asked myself "What's the
purpose?".
I determined in my entire wardrobe, the tie was the most useless piece of
gear.
I was about to introduce a speaker who also wore a tie.  An audience and a
video transmission.  Out of respect and fear, I succumed to the tribal
customs.

Just like useless hiking gear, it's hard to let go of familiar habits.

Did ties ever have a practical application?

Warner Springs Monty