[pct-l] Technology on the Trail

Blisterfree; you have become my favorite poster/postie of messages on this board! Certain messages are deleted before glanced at, but yours are a treasure. (Seriously). I'd written virtually the same posting and was just about to send it when I read yours. I guess this makes me an egotist, but it's nice to know that others feel the same way about these sorts of things. Of course, detaching yourself from your fellow humanoids is often the point in wilderness excursions.

I usually find that people who can't stand being alone are generally the worst company.

-Chuckie

I maintain that the popularity and widespread public use of cell phones has little to do with any practical need, but has instead come in direct proportion to our increasing alienation from, and lack of connection with, our fellow humanoids. And with that, a disconnection from ourselves. More and more, people fear being alone, and are afraid to have a good-old-fashioned dialog with themselves. Further, we've lost the ability to entertain ourselves by daydreaming (probably because childhood is such a rushed affair these days). So we fortress ourselves with a small
circle of likeminded refugees, keep each other on speed dial, and slog through the day lost in the perceived security of a virtual reality.

Cell phones have become the glue that holds the great American social life intact. If accidentally ingested, seek medical help at once.

- blisterfree