[pct-l] Technology on the Trail

Nice compilation of greatest hits! (the great ones just
collectively rolled over in the earth)

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net

Here's some of the best words in the ongoing technolog..I
posted mine (), and at the bottom...
<
Hiking is where I go to get away from all of the
mechanized - electrolyzed -
technolyzed - analyzed - politicized world.
"Strider"
*
I hate cell phones in civilization or the wilderness!
"David D"
( Me2!)
*
Are we really the poorer for all our technology? Or is it
more a matter of learning to apply our technology in order
to reap the most benefit from the wilderness still
remaining?
"blisterfree"
*
Not only that, but it will make you stupid like calculators
have done to kids.
"Sly"
*
More and more of my outdoor excursions have been spoiled by
technology: cell phone users barking repeatedly into their
phones, "Can you hear me now?" on the tops of mountains or
in otherwise silent meadows.
"Chuckie"
*
After all, don't you think Custer  would have used M16s if
he coulda?
"No Way"
(The 1866 Henry's Repeating and the 1873 Winchester lever
action rifles- 11 or so shots-were available then, sorta
like armored Humvies, truthful politicians, and an informed
citizenry should be today. Bottomline, the Sioux were more
informed and motivated.)
*
Do we really need to bring all our toys out there for a
wilderness experience, or is that the experience we're even
after anymore?
"Chuckie"
*
The only battery powered items I carry into the wilderness
are my camera, digital or analog, my Timex analog watch,
and my headlamp, which is a new fangled l.e.d. version.
After that, my brain and experience guide me,
and  my personal desire for escapism into and intimacy with
the wilderness conflicts with these modernistic
technodrugs available today.  Sometimes, it is best to just
say NO to techno to be "one with nature."
In the Trinity Alps this past summer, I met a couple at a
creek crossing, they were on the other side. I needed a
break
so I waited a short while. But he kept staring at his GPS
unit for several minutes looking very perplexed. When I
tired of being patient
for them to cross, I stepped over the rocks to their side.
The first question he asked was, "where am I?" I couldn't
help but laugh inside,
and I told him where he was, since I surely knew where I had
been for the last four days.  At least they were in the
wilderness....sorta lost
by their addiction to techno, tho......
Deems