[pct-l] ice axes

I wasn't in front when entering the Sierra, but did have to cut steps on a usual basis, usually in the morning before things got soft, or in places that were constantly in the shade, or in the early evening when things got firm again.  If I was to wait for snow to get soft to cross a 10 meter stretch in the morning, I'd have to sit around and shiver for two or three hours.  With the axe, I can get across in a few minutes.  The lighter axes mean I have to swing five or six times to get a toe hold.  With my normal axe, I can do it in one swing, maybe two.  It isn't hard, and it is safe.  You don't need much technique either.

Plenty of people get across without an axe.  From my experience at KM, I'd say only about 60% of the thruhikers were carrying on into the Sierra.  About 30% were depending on their trekking poles.  The rest had nothing.  In 2003, the first three across (Beast, Rye Dog, Tutu), had  a single axe between them.  Hairy stories they had.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett