[pct-l] ice axes

Every now and then I see a post about someone
wondering about cutting steps.  Admittedly, I've only
done the PCT once, but nobody I know has had to
actually use their axe to cut steps.  Other members of
this list with much more experience on the PCT (and
experience with different snow levels) may have
different opinions to contribute.

The only situations in which I could see myself doing
that would be if I was hiking at such an early hour
that the ice was still rock solid.  Generally, there
will be steps to follow (unless you're one of those
angels, the front-running hikers who make the steps
for the rest to follow).

I have walked on some pretty slick stuff, and I was
able to pretty easily use my poles to keep me in place
(it took a lot of concentration at some points to do
that).  The work and time it takes to actually cut
steps would probably be better spent waiting for the
snow to soften a tiny bit, so you can kick into the
snow a bit with the edge of your shoe/boot.

If you REALLY foresee the need for cutting steps, I'd
suggest packing a pair of lightweight instep crampons.
 I had a pair in 2002, but the only time I ended up
using them was to cross an ice-encrusted (VERY
slippery) log, to get across a creek and into Crabtree
Meadows.  Other than that, the only times I might have
used them (but chose not to) were one section between
Ebbets Pass and Carson Pass, descending Glen Pass, and
above Sonora Pass.  Every year is different, and all
of these situations were very early in the morning.

If you find yourself having to cut steps, there's very
likely another easier way to get where you need to go.
 On the other hand, if you're hiking with someone who
does not have the benefit of poles, axe, or crampons,
and the ice is slick, cutting steps may be necessary.

I imagine that other hikers who have had to cut steps
may offer their opinions as well.

Iron Chef