[pct-l] New Ultra Light Hiking Poles

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 00:05, Hiker97@aol.com wrote:
> For those of you thinking of new poles for the upcoming hiking season, REI
> just came out with 2 new adjustable carbon fiber models.  Their Peak UL Trekking
> Poles are 12.4 ounces per pair at $129.  Item number 720049.  The compact
> model for shorter folks weighs in at 11.2 onces per pair.  Sounds interesting.
>
> Happy trails, Switchback

A word of caution on ultralight carbon hiking poles - in my experience
they are fairly brittle and fragile. I can't speak directly to these
particular models, but I tried a pair of the Stix X1 poles that
Backpacking Light sells - loved them until one just snapped off about 6"
from the tip. It wasn't entirely spontaneous - I was motoring down the
trail, and as I strode past the point where I had planted the pole, it
levered against a small rock (less than 12" dia) and snapped off before
I knew what was happening - I actually heard it rather than felt it. It
wasn't stuck or wedged - I've gotten my Leki UL poles (my pair checks in
at 15.4 oz) stuck to the point that I was pulled off my stride in
similar circumstances w/no damage to the poles. That being said, I did
enjoy using the X1s while they lasted. They were so light (8oz for a
pair of non-adjustable poles) - almost like having nothing in my hands.

YMMV, of course. I'm willing to consider the possibility that I'm just a
klutz and wasn't paying enough attention to where I put my poles. I'm
just glad it happened cruising down the trail instead of in the middle
of a tricky stream crossing...

Jim McEver