[pct-l] question for the ladies

Hi Elizabeth,

Just figured I would pipe in with another data point - from the short haired
perspective.

I used to have long hair but cut it short after struggling with it for years
when dancing and hiking.  Just brushing and braiding each morning while on
the trail was an exercise in frustration.

My hair is so fine, that even when in a regular or french braid all day, it
would be a tangled mess at the end of the day.  Leaving it loose when I was
active was not an option.

If you are used to having long hair and have already done a fair bit of
hiking and haven't had problems, then you'll probably be fine with it long
while on the trail.

I love having short hair.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not too concerned how
pretty it looks while I'm out on the trail, but when I'm off the trail, it
is so easy to manage.  It takes a fraction of the time to wash, rinse, dry,
and brush.  It also needs far less shampoo and conditioner than when I had
hair down to the middle of my back.

I no longer have to "plan" when I'm going to wash my hair to make sure it
has time to air dry or time for me to blow it dry.  With short hair, if I
want to blow it dry, it takes a minute or two- literally.  If I air dry it,
it'll be dry in less than 20 minutes.  When I had long hair, if I braided it
while it was still wet, it would still be wet at the end of the day.  And
there was nothing like having your hair freeze while out on a winter hike.
Especially when it started to freeze to your hat and toher clothing.  Ouch!

As for maintaining it on the trail, I didn't have a chance to get it cut
before I started the trail.  By the time I got to Big Bear City, it really
needed a cut.  Here's an excerpt from my journal:

"Upon inquiring at the front desk about a place to get my haircut, the
manager eventually got in touch with her daughter, a licensed and practicing
beautician.  Lo and behold, a couple of hours later, her daughter pulled up
to the motel with scissors in hand.  Sitting on the walkway just outside my
motel room door, I had my hair cut.  How cool is that?"

For me, my trail cut needs to be at least long enough so that the hair
provides sun protection for my scalp.  This ends up being just a bit longer
than a buzz cut.  Bald hikers or those that shave their heads end up needed
to wear a hat or use a lot of sunscreen.

On the AT, I didn't bother to get my hair cut at all.  It was very short to
start and by the end, I mostly wore a bandana to keep it out of my eyes.
Had I completed a PCT thruhike, that Big BearCity cut probably would have
been enough to get me to the end, or at least well into OR.

Hair care while I'm actually hiking takes less than a minute to run a comb
or brush through it in the morning - if I even bother.  If I run into a
stream, even if it's cold, I can often rinse my hair and feel refreshed
without having to worry too much about it staying wet and sapping heat for a
long time.

If and when I care if it looks messy, I just hide it under a bandana.

When I get back home, I just have it restyled  into a slightly longer, but
still short cut.  with short hair, just a small difference in length can
make hair look very different.

Anyway, just thought I would give you the happy short-haired perspective.

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor