[pct-l] Finding leaks in air matteresses (was Big Agnes Horse Thief Bag)

I have a BA Air Core pad (the one without the insulation).  I had a slow
leak for a long time.  It was so slow, that I had a hard time convincing
myself at first that it really was leaking (temperature and barometric
pressure can also play havoc with how firm the pad stays overnight).  But it
eventually got worse enough that I would have to give it at least one good
puff in the middle of the night to reinflate it enough to sleep.

Have you tried using the soapy water method to find the leak?  Stir some
dish soap into water (you don't want too many suds), and then paint it onto
the fully inflated pad.  The air trying to escape will cause the suds to
bubble at the leak.  (It was a PITA, but I managed all this in my tub - then
used the shower to rinse it all off.)

Turns out mine was leaking from where the surface cloth of the pad was
attached to the plastiky part surrounding the valve stem and was obviously a
manufacturing defect, and not a puncture hole.  I tried to patch the area
but the patch didn't take as it was too close to the edge of the pad.

BA replaced the pad and I haven't had any other problems with the new pad.

If the soapy water trick doesn't enable you to find the leak, give BA a
call.

Best of luck,
Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor