[pct-l] RE: JMT Hike questions

To play devil's advocate (or just be a pain in the ass), I would point out
that for some people's taste, August is perfect. Some folks hate mosquitoes
and snow and might not enjoy the Sierras as much earlier than that. Having
cut my hiking teeth on the Green Lakes Trail near Bend, I'm not terribly
bothered by crowds. Since I hike alone, I usually welcome them. That's
what's great about the "when to hike" question: there's no right answer.

Judson
Snowy Ashland

<<alternatively, I'd offer that without a doubt, august will be the worst.
heh heh.  brown grass, lots of JMT hikers and weekenders etc.  Tame
crossings, no snow....yawn.  July 1 or 7 = the spectacular snow capped
vistas, a little taste of some light mountaineering on the passes, sharing
the trail with a few thru-hikers, green grass in the meadows.  mather pass
seems it could be the crux of a southbound hike.  sierra mosquitos are not
maneaters.

s.c.>>