[pct-l] RE: JMT Hike questions

without a doubt, the august date will be the best.  I've been on the
JMT 3x.  one time in late august, and twice in early sept.  its a great
time.  I've been in the sierras north of the JMT in early august and in
july and the mosquitoes were much worse.  earlier season has much more
stuff that could get in your way:

1.  If its a heavy snow year, the trail could still be covered in snow,
especially the passes.

2.  Even moderate snow years will have more mosquitoes in early season.

3.  Stream crossings can be more dangerous in early season.