[pct-l] Re: Pack Weight

While researching this question a few years back, I came upon the
conclusion that a 1/5 of body weight ratio is conformable and safe. If
your body weight is 200 hundred pounds, that means a 40 pound pack. Of
course other factors figure into this, such as: your  own personnel
strength, stamina and your ability to go a great distance. If your not
in shape to hump mountains, then your best to be carrying a lighter
weight till you are in better shape. Gradually increasing weight,
distance and difficulty are great exercises in preparation for the great
haul you may be planning.

I like the 1/5th ratio because it always keeps me focused on keeping my
pack weight down. This of course will also have great deal effect on
balance and agility. For me, the pack and its weight must feel
conformable on my back as if my back and the pack are all of one piece.
Weight distribution in the pack is also very important. If it is not
distributed properly, your pack will feel far heavier then it actually
is. The pack in of it self should feel as of one with your back, in so
much so that it is of no discomfort to keep it on, because it feels as
if it is part of your back.

Just my two cents worth. I'll step down from my soap box now.

James

You may visit me at:  http://www.eskimo.com/~captain/index.htm