[pct-l] CAUTION: Olympus Stylus Digital Camera IS NOT WATERPROOF

Dude wrote:
>>>The weatherproof stylus is definitely a great camera for
>>>hiking.

My reply:

The Olympus Stylus Digital camera IS NOT WATERPROOF. THE
TERM "WEATHERPROOF" IS MEANINGLESS. Rather like the term
"fresh" on a bag of potato chips. Nor is Olympus likely to
honor repair or replacement on any of their "weatherproof"
models that happen to have their interior exposed to
moisture, as happened to me while using the camera in a
drizzle atop Mt Katahdin last summer. Never mind the sexy tv
ads in which the Stylus is shown sitting in a pool of water
during an indoor rain storm. Olympus warranty department
claims to know nothing about that ad. According to them, if
the camera has moisture on the inside, then indeed it MUST
have been sitting in a pool of water during a rainstorm,
which they admit is beyond the intended use of the Olympus
digital line of cameras. Never mind that my Stylus 300
received only a light drizzle and was otherwise well cared
for. What's more, the photo quality ain't all that hot with
this camera, as many an online reviewer has likewise
admitted. Suggest giving these cameras a miss, despite their
otherwise great set of features. The analog Stylus might
still offer rugged functionality as in days of old, however.

- blisterfree