From: Monty Tam <metam01@earthlink.net>
Sent: Jan 4, 2005 10:22 AM
To: yogi <yogihikes@sbcglobal.net>, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Guidebooks - don't leave home without them

I wanted to say something about the guide book, but Yogi says it all for me
here.  Now I'm still going to say something.

One of the best examples of other routes for me was a Southern Oregon
Alternate Route.  The guide book suggests it:  I took it.  Lots of water
vs. carrying lots of water and the Alternate Route, in Sky Lakes Wilderness
may have been my favorite place on the whole trail.  I also took an
Alternate Route to duck bad weather in the Sierras just north of Vermillion
along a really beautiful river.  (Cascade something)  Lots more examples
too.

I've used her method, what's also known as rip-and-read, of cutting off the
pages I need.  It was great for not having to lug large books around
between business meeting, doctor's appointments, lunches and breaks.  I
have no problem destroying a replacable book for comfort and funcionality.
I have to buy a new set this year. No sweat.  I spend a lot more money
shaving an ounce off my gear.

I also did a rip-and-and read on the Town Book and the Data Book.  I found
from other hikers that Yogi's guide, ON AND OFF THE TRAIL, is also a "don't
leave home without it"(which reminds me I haven't ordered one yet).

For the Sierras I also used the $20.00 John Muir Set.  Too many places with
snow-covered trails to be comfortable with just a data book.

Although I felt the first guidebook had too much irritating pedantic
vocabulation, I assume to impress the reader, instead of conveying a clear
message to the reader,  I wouldn't leave home without it or the other two
in the series.  What's decodable is valuable.

Cheeseburgers!  I carried two from Cajon Pass north for dinner that night.
Another must for me.

It's snowing here in Warner Spring right now.  Feels good.

Warner Springs Monty