[pct-l] Heat Acclimatization and Training

Personally, I think the best training you can do before the hike, other than being comfortable in the outdoors for extended periods of time, is to toughen the body.  Cardio and leg strength will come.  But, if your feet and joints are not tough from the get go, you might have some problems with blisters and aches that Vitamin I can't help.  Running has worked for me in the past.  Not fast or long (10k, 4 times a week).  When I moved to Washington recently, the more urban setting and all the rain have forced me onto an inclined treadmill.  While my endurance and leg strength are as good as they've ever been, I've started to blister again, which is unpleasant.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett