[pct-l] Heat Acclimatization and Training

I started my thru-hike in very good aerobic condition.  I hiked only 10 to 15
mile days for the first several days due to a partner with a bad knee.  When
she went out, I had so much energy pent up that I walked 32 miles the next day.

I agree that it is beneficial to be in good aerobic condition to start.  I
also agree that by Agua Dulce your body will have adjusted to the routine and
hardened to the hiking every day, or else something; a knee, an ankle, your
back, or your head will reject the routine.  It is a stereotype, of course, that
most who quit, do so within the first few hundred miles, but I think it is
mostly true.

This is what makes the kickoff so fun; looking into the worried eyes of those
who aspire, each one questioning themselves and those around them, secretly
within their brains, asking "who among us are the ones who will ultimately
reach Monument 78?"

Ask Yogi.  I think that she probably has the best insight into what it takes
as anyone, having hiked the trail three (?) times in the past few years.

Hiking condition is great for big men posting up underneath the basket in
basketball.  Once you plant your feet NO ONE is going to move those legs.
However, running down the court doesn't work too well at 2 1/2 mph! ;-)

Happy New Year!

Strider