[pct-l] Gifts of hiking solo...

(Below is one of the gifts I received as the result of hiking solo. I just
ran across this journaling I had done after my PCT 02 hike. )

I remember special moments hiking solo on the trail. One day stands out... I
remember everything about a 30 minute lakeside break I took following a
frustrating morning of being lost in the Sky Lake Wilderness area.

I had been beating myself up for not having paid better attention to trail
signs. I'd lost 3 hours of hiking time as well as 1000 feet of elevation as
the result of taking a wrong trail. I was mad at myself. I was confused and
doubting my ability. I was hot, tired and hungry.

Only once back on the PCT did I give myself the right to look for a break
spot. I noticed a very secluded tiny lake off trail. I hiked around the
hillside that blocked me from being seen from the trail. I was alone. It was
sunny and warm - the water was still. I took off all my clothes, rinsed them
out and hung them to dry on the nearby bushes.

 Sitting on the lakeside, concealed by the rocks behind me, secure I was
truly alone, I looked out across the water and thought, "And this is what
hiking solo is all about". I eased myself into the lake. The cold water felt
wonderful on my overheated, tired, salty body. Earlier thoughts and feelings
were immediately replaced. That's how it is on the trail..from moment to
moment feelings are ever changing. I smiled as I lazily swirled in the water
taking in all the beauty around me while feeling the joy and pride in
knowing I had given this very special moment to myself as the result of
being willing to walk through the fear of traveling solo.

Gottago

P.S. I love the PCT!