[BULK] - [pct-l] Hiking the Southern California PCT in winter

Winter weather in SoCal is quite unpredictable. Currently, trail
conditions are very hike-able, as opposed to a month ago, when we were
buried in snow (San Felipe's were getting white-out conditions!). For
current conditions, the SGWA has a BBS that local hikers use for this
reason. See www.swga.org Also, there's a new Yahoo group:
Where local Southern California Backpackers share info and support on
Southern California Backpacking issues (all trails, not just PCT).
For example, I'm trying to decide if I can continue on my PCT hike past
the 74 and up into Saddle Junction, or if I should stay lower for my
January outing. Here's a reply from one of our group:

	From Eric Yakel, reporting on the PCT from 74 to Saddle
Junction:
	"Hah, fooled you.  I can tell you there are a few patches in the
shade from 6,000 to 7,000 feet.  Above 7,000 feet it is about
half-and-half, most of the snow being in the shade.  I went up there and
it was not to cold but very windy.  I think you can 	probably make it
now with just an ice axe.  Hope this helps."

Lot's of experience and advice between these three sources!

BTW- Thanks Eric!

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m