[pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 20, Issue 25

Donna said:

>> Wayne,
>
> To offer you some encouragement, you won't be the first deaf (or near
> deaf) hiker that's been out there.  Last year, Silent Runner (Patty
> Haskins) completed a northbound thru-hike.  In fact, she was quite
> amazing -- she started four days behind Scott Williamson (the guy who
> completed the first-ever yo-yo of the PCT), and managed to catch Scott at
> Kennedy Meadows.  She then managed to keep up with Scott all the way to
> Canada!
>
> A few years ago we had another 100% deaf hiker (who told us the funniest
> stories until we were just rolling).  He was hiking with his wife (or
> significant other -- I never ask).
>
> It sounds to me that you value and love your dog tremendously, and are
> justifiably concerned about the possible issues that the dog may have to
> endure out there.  Also that the hardest part of the hike might be missing
> him. Is there someone who might be willing to bring the dog to meet you at
> a few stops along the way?  I've heard of this being done.
>
> -=Donna Saufley=-

Yeah, I know, Donna, and a blind guy completed the AT solo with his seeing
eye dog. If Scott's available to escort another much slower near deaf hiker
one way only nobo in about 2008, I think I'll be available. Major will be
pretty old by then anyway and you know how crabby retired military officers
can be.  I probably could arrange to meet Major on the trail, but I am sure
you will understand that I need to be very careful not to convey the notion
that I miss my dog more than my wife!  Seriously, I'm in the market for a
hiking companion.  My wife and dog both like to go for walks with me, but
they are not long distance hikers.

I am not overly worried about not hearing at night.  This might be an
interesting topic for discussion/story telling:  How many times have you
been saved from imminent danger by being awakened by a noise at night?  I
suspect it's a fairly rare thing.  I recognize it adds an additional element
of risk.  I compensate by being cautious in other areas, but ultimately
something bad could happen. That's life. I accept the risk.

Wayne Kraft