[pct-l] Kickoff Party

As the coordinator and one of the originators of the ADZPCTKO, I will take on
answering this one.  Donna Saufley had brought this subject up and indicated
that some businesses in Agua Dulce had a problem with too many thru-hikers
pushing for their business over a very short time.  I polled other hikers and
businesses up and down the trail and have found almost no other complaints along
these lines.  Now, having said that, this is not to say that there is not a
problem of overcrowding due, only in part, to the popularity of the ADZ.
Please recognize that the popularity of hiking the trail has increased similarly to
the attendence of the ADZ and, thus, more and more hikers are starting at a
similar time each year, regardless of when the ADZ is held.

We, the organizers of the ADZ, are sensitive to these issues regardless and
have begun to pull together a letter addressed to many of the typical supply
businesses and chamber of commerces for the trail supply towns between Mt.
Laguna and Kennedy Meadows.  The letter will inform them of the approximate time
that hikers will be arriving and provide a list of typical supplies and services
that hikers are looking for in supply towns.  In this way we are encouraging
the businesses to welcome the hikers by stocking what they need and taking
their money and thereby profiting by the circumstances rather than panicking over
it.

Secondly, we are continuing (note; "continuing", not starting) our
"ride-sharing" page on the website that offers a way for drivers to link up with hikers
to either bring them to the kickoff from the numerous points of transportation
into Sth Calif., and/or pick them up at a prearranged trail head on a
prearranged day and time in order to bring them back to the kickoff, and then return
them to that trailhead following the event.

In these ways we hope to help alleviate the pressures put upon the supply
town businesses by the increasing popularity of hiking the southern California
sections of the PCT and the number of hikers that leave at a similar time from
the kickoff.

Other suggestions have been made proposing to move the date of the kickoff to
a later date, hold it at a different location, etc.  These ideas have been
considered and it has been a consensus of the organizers that they would defeat
several of the original and enduring purposes of the ADZPCTKO that are its
very foundation.

We are planning another great event next year and are STRIVING to keep the
event the relatively non-commercial, low-key, informative event that it has
grown to be.

Ah, the growing pains of success are unanticipated, yet tickling to the pride
of those who dreamed this event and led it to fruitition.

Best regards,

Greg Hummel

In a message dated 12/13/2004 1:59:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,