[pct-l] Pacific Northwest Trail

I asked PNT thru-hiker Bernie for his thoughts on the
experience, for the benefit of anyone on this list who might
be interested. Will CC to the CDT list as well.   -
blisterfree

The PNT turns out to be a very weird trail.  From everything
that I have heard and read, no one has hiked the PNT from
start to finish since the 1980's and it seems that the
people who did hike it were not what you and I would call
experienced long distance hikers.  When the newest edition
of the PNT trail guide came out, I think in 2001, there
seemed to be a flurry of interest in the trail, and a bunch
of people set off from Montana to hike it.  At the PNT web
site, they have feed back from hikers who were hiking the
trail in 2001 and 2002.  The language they used sounded very
negative indicating that they had a rough time of it,
especially through the official cross country bushwhacks.
They all apparently dropped out before they reached Idaho,
so it seems, at least.

Ron Strickland, the founder of the trail, is a bushwhacking
junky, whereas, the general public fears this type of hiking
immensely.  The trail is virtually unmarked and some of the
route is very very overgrown using trails and roads that
have not been touched in 50 years or more.  So it seems at
least.  The last person who was closest to finishing the
trail was a woman who works for REI in Seattle who got only
2/3 of the way through the trail.  The same year Stacey and
I hiked the trail, some guy continued where he left off in
Idaho in the bushwhacking section of the Selkirks and
injured himself right away.  Therefore, it seems like the
PNT is a great barrier for most people.  If someone fears
getting lost, then they will tighten up and will get injured
easily and will drain their energy quickly.

Having come off of the CDT the previous year, Stacey and I
decided to challenge ourselves in 2004 by being apparently
the first to go the opposite direction, relying only on the
maps the book had to offer.  Stacey talked to Strickland on
the phone, and he basically said that it was impossible to
hike more than 20 miles a day on the PNT and that if we used
sandals, like we did, that we would not complete the trail.
We ended up hiking 25 to 35 miles a day easily, just like
any of the long distance trails.  However, we could only put
in 18 to 20 miles a day in the bush whacking sections of the
trail.

I'd have to say that the PNT does resemble the CDT in many
ways with its complement of road walking and problems with
loosing one's way along the official route.  For most of the
trail, we only had to carry a liter or less of water with us
except for when we were in Eastern Washington State, which
is the dry region of WA and in the shadow of the Cascades.
It's big time cow country there.  We carried two liters of
water each in this region.  This was Stacey's least favorite
part of the trail, but I didn't mind it.  At the same time,
it's not the CDT, but is closest to it compared to any other
trail I have hiked.  It's an interesting trail in that it
encompasses the wild and beautiful wilderness of the Olympic
Mountains and Olympic Coast and then suddenly transitions
into beach and road walking and the private property of
Puget Sound.  But this has its beauty.  I don't care too
much for the lowlands of WA state where clear cutting has
had its toll on the environment.  We saw our share of clear
cuts on this trail.  But then the North Cascades and the
Pasayton are heavenly and beyond compare.  Then its a hodge
podge of roads, dirt roads, pseudo trails,  cowboy trails,
forest service trails, bush whacking, private property
issues, all the way until the Kettle Crest National
Recreation Trail.  The Idaho and MT sections are very unique
and include quite a lot of actual trail and I've been told
that the association is close to getting national recreation
status for those two states only.  They are currently
working to re route the bushwhacks that the forest service
does not approve of.

So I guess the trail is not for a beginner unless those
beginners have some guidance from someone who knows the
ropes.  But power to the people who have never hiked a long
distance trail before.  I think it's fun.

enjoy,
bern