[pct-l] Re: Isn't Hiking Free

Hi Ann,

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Aloha! Ann wrote:

> 2001 = no income outside of any investments; 2003 = well, I
> won't repeat what I actually said when my W2 arrived and the taxes were
> completed.  Let's just go with... it hurt.  It really hurt.

You touched an interesting point. Tax law treats people with highly
variable income over the years (say thru-hikers) much harsher than people
with constant income. Let us ignore inflation etc. for a moment. If two
people where to make one fat million dollares over their lifetime: One of
them in 25k pieces over 40 years - the other person 50k a year for 20
years (lets assume the latter person where thru-hiking in odd years and
doing double jobs in even). Because of the progressive tax system the
second person would have made less money after taxes than the first. Lets
call this unfairness the "thru-hiker penalty".

What should the thru-hiker do to not be taxed so unfairly? The main idea
is to smoothen out the income over the tax years. One way of doing so is
to thru-hike trails on the southern hemisphere. Their summer season starts
in October and lasts thru April. Now how do we relocate the PCT to Chile?
;-)

Another idea (I have no particular knowledge about tax law) would be to
use tax defered accounts. (Something like IRA, 401k etc.) In the fat years
one would have to massively invest into these and avoid being taxed at the
highest bracket. Should one draw from them during thru-hiking years? There
usually is a 10 percent penalty. So I don't know.

But an interesting idea would be as follows: most people here agree that
thru-hiking is relatively inexpensive on the trail (on the order of USD
500 - 700 a month). Other fun activities would be traveling around the
world and hiking Siberia, the Himalayan or Australia. (I have friends that
traveled around the world on a USD 600 - 1000 per month budget - scuffy
student/hiker standard). If one where willing to explore the world at age
50, say for 5 years, the tax defered account could grow quit a bit -
without even contributing during this time. Early retirement at age 55?
(After having traveled the world for half a decade!)

Ilja.