[pct-l] RE: isn't hiking free?!?

Ken

$2600 for a thru hike is not far from what it cost us in 2003.

Here are the numbers for our expenses to the nearest dollar:

$2241 Groceries and fuel (virtually all bought from stores along the route)
$607   Restaurant meals and in town food.
$159   Hotel, hostel and campsite fees (South Lake Tahoe, Ashland and Seiad
Valley)
$602   Bus transportation from home to trail and from trail to home and
Stehekin bus.
$70     Mailing costs

$3679 is the total for 2 people. So about $1840 each which is about $10 each
per day for our 6 month journey.

I'm not including equipment as most of it we already had and still use. The
only items we each specifically bought for the trip were Marmot Helium
sleeping bags, lightweight ice axes and 2 pairs of boots. These items cost
us about $660 each. The sleeping bags and ice axes have been used quite a
bit since the trip so the cost of them cannot be counted completely as PCT
cost

To the $1840 I would add about $650 in equipment costs for the trip -
footwear, socks, part costs of sleeping bag and ice axe and pack as the main
items.
So the total is just under the $2600 figure.

Obviously if you choose to stay in hotels in towns then your costs will be
quite a bit higher.

We certainly took some food from hiker boxes along the way and that saved us
some money.
We did not travel light (20 & 25 pound base weights) so were slower. We
certainly had more clothing so that we did not have to rush to the nearest
hotel to escape the rain or snow. So maybe there is a relationship between
trail costs and base weight of pack.

Alistair