From: Joanne Lennox <goforth@cnw.com>
Sent: Dec 6, 2004 12:38 PM
To: dsaufley@sprynet.com, Robert Ellinwood <rellinwood@worldnet.att.net>,
	pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: MOre horse tips

Having had a lot of trail and horse miles both as a thruhiker and a
thrurider, I can say I have encountered very few problems. The thruhikers
have been great, and exemplery in every way.  Most of the problems that I
have encountered are from less experienced hikers.  I might add a few
comments.

Every horse is learning about hikers from every encounter.  The horse is
being trained what to expect from hikers.  If the encounter is really
negative, the consequences may not happen in the intial bad experience but
in subsequent encounters.  A hiker can teach a horse that he really has
something to fear from hikers, and a horse 's response will be to run away
to a safe distance and then look and evaluate the situation, and the inital
fear flight can be dangerous. In Oregon a thruhiker was approaching my horse
which I was leading and he obviously wanted to approach and pet the horse.
I stopped and talked to the hiker.  The hiker put his poles in one hand and
was riveted on the horse, hand out.  Just as he approached the horse he
tripped hard, rocketed forward, and nailed the horse in the nose with the
end of his hiking poles.  Hopi shot backwards at impressive speed.  The guy
was appalled and apoligized profusely.  Horses don't necessarily understand
apologies. Incredibly, it happened again the next day!!.  Hopi, who was
finishing his second mexico to Canada trip(He is a thruhiker!!), decided
that these hikers were not good guys after all, and that they smelled bad,
and he would warn me well in advance of any encounter (he would often sense
a hiker approaching 5 minutes before and without any indication that I could
sense). Approach a horse slowly and if you want to touch him, as you
approach go tothe side, where he can see you(his eyes are on the side of his
head not the front).

Near Mc Kenzie Pass in Or, I encounter a large church group that was day
hiking.  They were split into two groups on each side of the trail.  As I
passed a number of people on one side of the trail, suddenly stood up, and
hopi spooked hard, spinning me around and pulling me down, rope burning my
hand.  Horses are particularily sensitive about any sudden moves made near
their back, and have a fear of tight spots(two hikers standing one on each
side of the trail, two close trees, rocks that hit their sides on a steep
sidehilling trail, between trailers or cars, etc.). So step to the the same
side of the trail, and allow a few moments after the horse has passed before
stepping onto the trail.

Hiking poles are real problems for equestrians.  Going down into the Feather
River gorge(southbound), Hopi suddenly got really afraid( snorting,
prancing, stomping, balking); the trail was narrow, covered with slick oak
leaves, and on steep unstable sidehill.  I had learned that if I could not
figure what was upsetting him, it probably was the smell of a cat or bear,
or something he was hearing that he could not see or make sense of.  I
stopped and started to yell "hello", then I could hear the clicking of
trekking poles around the a rock point on the trail.  Some voices responded
and I asked them to put their poles in their hands and as we rounded the
point, they stepped to the uphill side of the trail (the downhill side was
slick).  Hopi relaxed somewhat when he was able to see the hikers, but as we
went by  one , he shifted and his water bottle exited the a lower pocket of
his pack.  We all watched the bottle roll and bounce down the steep slope.
I felt terrible, and offered one of mine.  the hiker declined and against my
advice, started down the slope after the bottle.  He went about 20 feet
before realizing the folly, and turning around. I was very uneasy until he
regained the trail.  Horses are very aware of sounds and smells and these
can cause as much apprehension as visual encounters.  Moreso , when the
cause is invisible.  Once, I was going down a trail, and a bicyle was in
front, my horse was fine with the bicyle until it rounded a corner and he
could not see it!!  At which point, he was sure that it was lurking in the
bushes somewhere.When you step off the trail, stay in plain sight, do not
step behind a tree, where the horse may be suddenly startled at seeing you.

Especially in the Sierras and near the Desolation wilderness, I ran into a
number of hikers that would not respond to my greeting, and when I appealed
to them to talk, they arrogantly brushed by both me and the horse.  I feel
that it is rude and dangerous to brush against either of us on a trail.  The
horse is trained to respond to pressure, and will step sideways if he is
brushed on the side. If you brush against a horse at the back, he is likely
to step forward near or on the rider.  At least have the same courtesy that
is shown to other hikers or people.

Do not allow a horse to invade your space!!  My horses are taught to respect
my space and I respect theirs (arms length).  If a horse is nuzzling your
chest or your pockets, he is learning that he does not have to respect your
space and probably can do what he wants.  Yes, he probably is nuzzling for
treats, but he may decide to start exploring smells with his teeth.  Say
something to the horse owner ( "I am not comfortable with this behavior"),
and push the horse's nose away from you( If the owner has let his horse get
away with this, you will have to do it repeatedly or step back far enough
that he is not tempted). A horse that will invade your space, may not think
much about stepping on your feet either.

Never approach any horse  without asking the owner or if the horse is alone.
You do not know anything about the horse, he does not know anything about
you.  Horses are large animals and can be dangerous; it is much better to be
cautious. I would not approach a dog without talking to its owner; a horse
outweights a dog by about 1000 pounds, and a dog does not have the same fear

If you approach a horse do it much as you would a dog: slowly, from the
side, hands at your sides, then  allowing him to smell the BACK of your
hand, talk quietly.  Making hard eye contact, pointing your fingers forward,
standing square to the front of a horse are strong signals  that you are a
predator, and will make even a well trained horse slightly uneasy.

Horses are tremendously sensitive to the signals that you are sending out,
and can be an avenue to learning how you interact with the world.  They are
much more aware of their environment than we are and can teach us to be more
aware.  I have learned many things on the PCT with my horse that I never
noticed before when I was doing the PCThiking; it has opened a whole new
realm of awareness in the wilderness.  All relationships allow us to absorb
more from our environment and enrich our lives.

Goforth