From: Robert Ellinwood [mailto:rellinwood@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 7:28 AM
To: 'John Hildebrand'; at2002@mac.com; Mike Saenz
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [pct-l] hands free umbrella?

We did a vaguely similar thing to Sycamore's set-up in 1985.  Using
external frame packs back then, we attached the rim of a large lampshade
to the top extension bar of the pack, then supported the loop over our
heads - as a halo, so to speak - with a section of metal hanger back to
the pack frame on each side.  The "halo" was then covered with half of a
space blanket which then went down over the top of our packs to keep
water and film cooler.
Great in limited wind... a pain in strong wind.  Walking hatless in
really dark shade was great.  However, a rigid system like that had its
drawbacks in ways other than wind... visibility at times, ducking
overhanging brush, taking the pack off and putting it on, explaining why
we looked like Martians!  Though we actually used it for 700 miles, our
initial pride of "cleverness" gradually turned to "Well, it works some
of the time."

This summer I will simply use a very light 6 oz umbrella attached either
with tiny bungees or with Velcro when the wind allows and use a
wide-brim Tilley LT6 hat the rest of the time. I keep hearing my dear
departed mother
whispering, "Keep it simple, stoopid,"     Yes, Mom....

Dr. Bob