[pct-l] Nuplse North Face Jacket

In 1977 (oh, God, not another '77 story!) the Nth Face was a cutting edge
tent, backpack, clothing, sleeping bag manufacturer that was emerging to become
THE adventure gear manufacturer for hikers, climbers and other activities,
similar I believe to the Golight, Gossamer Gear, Six Moons, Henry Shires, ULA,
etc. situation now.  My brother's girlfriend (now wife) was working for the
president, Hap Klopp, when I hiked the trail.

I had problems with my Jansport manufactured - Eddie Bauer labeled pack
(seams coming apart everywhere) and hitch-hiked out from Yosemite to my brothers
place in Berkeley.  Hap heard about me and suggested that I come in to speak
with him about the trek, problems, logistics, etc. so he could learn more and in
return he would sell me any pack in the store as a second with an employee
discount.  He and I spoke for about 2 hours and I walked away with the cutting
edge Kelty Tioga, the biggest, strongest pack made at the time.

I still own and use the first polarguard sleeping bag ever made, by the NF.

I still own and use the VE 23 tent, three person, dome, three season, ~ 6
pounds, made by the NF.

They used to be cutting edge and make great gear.  Going public steered them
into the main stream, away from their core focus that got them to where they
were.  Hap hated the new pressures and directions away from their core and
started looking to go elsewhere.  He works for Patagonia now in marketing.

It seems to happen to all of the best companies.  So, all of you little gear
manufacturers, don't get too successful or grow too big.  It takes all of the
fun out what you do so well.

Greg