[pct-l] Nuplse North Face Jacket

> I've encountered the same reaction on the trail, sometimes where
> there are specific complaints about warranty, sometimes just a vague
> miasma,  and sometimes an acknowledgment about quality tempering
> disparagement based on some particular feature such as
> weight-to-performance ratios.
>
> Does anyone else have different reactions to the brand name?

Most of the non ultra-lighters I know have a positive reaction to TNF.
 They are not thrilled that for awhile TNF was an "in" fashion
label... but they decided that they weren't going to abandon a brand
that had provided they with quality equipment just because people were
buying the brand because it was the "cool" thing in pop culture.

In me pre-ultralight days I was very happy with my TNF gear.  Cat's
Meow sleeping bag served me well for years.  v24 tent was bombproof.
My 1979 TNF Gore-Tex parka was worn 2/3 of every year until 1988 when
it started leaking.  TNF replaced it will a brand new jacket which I
used until a few years ago which I switched to something more light
weight.  I have had good luck with warrenty.

That said, I haven't purchased anything from TNF in around 4 years.
Most items I purchase are lighter than the equiv from TNF, plus the
items I choice are cheaper and/or have better design features (imho).

--mark