[pct-l] pot/cup combo

OK, I just have to put in a plug for the venerable WalMart Grease Pot. It's
cheap (less than ten bucks) and very light: throw away the lid that comes with
it, add an aluminum foil lid and you have a very durable pot/lid that's less
than 3 ounces. It's 5.5" across by 3.0" deep so it holds my pepsi-can stove,
aluminum foil windscreen, matches/lighter, and aluminum flashing pot stand with
room to spare. I made a very lightweight wire bail out of some hair-thin
stainless steel wire so I don't have to carry a pot lifter. I pack it in a
zip-loc bag and the whole shebang weighs 5 oz with matches for 5-8 days.
Brim-full, it holds about 4.5 cups (though I've never used that much on the trail).

Some people don't like them because they're hard to clean (the lip is turned in
rather than out) but I haven't found that to be a problem.

I have 500 miles on mine and the bottom has a few teensy dents; if you don't
play kickball with it or sit on it, it looks like it would last the entire PCT.
It's what I plan to use in '05.

If you need a coffee cup, I have found that a regular styrofoam cup will last
10-20 days if handled carefully and can be fitted into the pot along with all
the rest of the stuff if it is placed on its side and slightly squished. The
downside to styrofoam cups (aside from environmental impact) is that they
attract dirt so by the end of 20 days, it's looking pretty tattered and grubby.
That's when the replacement in the resupply box looks pretty good. A styrofoam
cup weighs so little that it doesn't even register on my postal scale.

--Steve