[pct-l] PCT-L wiki

IMHO, I think that a wiki would be a perfect fit for PCT info because:

1.  there is lots of info that changes often, such as what trail towns
have which supplies, prices for hotels/hostels/transportation, what
lightest pack/tent/bag is (seems like this changes quarterly almost),
where bear cannisters are needed, how many people have thru-hiked, etc.

2.  as I understand it (I have never set up a wiki, just used
wikipedia), terms mentioned in one part of a wiki article are
automatically cross-refferenced and linked to entries for those terms,
which creates a very nice reference resource for newbies who need to
learn definitions for all the lingo that old-timers take for granted
and really speeds up the learning curve dramatically.  As you can
probably tell, this also blows away searching the archives because
everything you need is just linked together and easy to find -- no
searching required.

3.  there are many people on this list who have the knowledge and the
apparent interest in the subject matter to maintain the wiki pretty
well.

4.  the PCTA website is a very nice and helpful site loaded with lots
of information, but like any static website, is subject to the
contraints of maintenance and is therefore sometimes out of date or
incomplete.  a wiki would generally solve this problem and the PCTA
website would be the perfect compliment to the wiki as the repository
for the "official" information, much as the PCT-L archives contain lots
of great info, but is not "official".

I am all in favor of the idea andf would gladly help contribute where I
am qualified.

...my 2 cents.

peace,
dude