[pct-l] Re: Start date for '05 thru hike..

In 2003 Gail and I started from Campo on April 11, left KM on May 29 and
were passed by 'fairly moderate pace' Suge just after Echo Lake Resort on
June 29. We made it to Manning Park by September 30.
We had a lot of solitude in the first 2 months. Scott Williamson passed us
on his 2003 Yoyo attempt on April 20.
We had chosen to take 6 months on the hike and so left earlier than the
kick-off. Certainly most of the hikers that passed us had been to the
kick-off and had clearly enjoyed it and we enjoyed their company before they
moved ahead.
Leaving 2 weeks before the kick-off meant that we encountered more snow and
deeper river crossings in the Sierras but it meant that we did not need to
hike 25 miles a day to finish. We in fact slowed our pace down thru
Washington.
It all comes down to Hike Your Own Hike and whatever you do you'll meet a
lot of great people and have a memorable experience.
As for info on trail conditions, these can change overnight - a fire starts
or a storm comes or there is an unusually dry or wet spell so info given at
the kick-off may not be current by the time you get further up the trail.
The Sierra snowpack was about 75% of normal on April 11th 2003 but was more
than 100% of normal when we got to Kennedy Meadows. The Sisters fires that
year started when we were less than a day south of Sisters. This involved a
diversion round the affected area. We returned from Manning Park to Sisters
to complete the missed section. So one has to be prepared to deal with
anything once you've started hiking.

Alistair