[pct-l] Monument 78 Question

Can anyone tell me what Monument 78 signifies, other than the end (or start) (or halfway point, if you're Scott Williamson) of the PCT? I'm assuming there's a Monument 77, and so on, but all I can find is brief mention of Monument 72 in Karen Berger's 'Along the Pacific Crest Trail' on the second to last page.

It's my understanding (and commonly stated through the hiker grapevine on the trail) that it's 78 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, though this could very well be inaccurate. I've always wanted to hike the tree-less swath westward (or eastward) to find out! Does this mean the CDT passes near such a monument?

Welcome back Yogi!

-Chuckie V