[pct-l] Plantar fasciitis recovery

I had a severe case of plantar fasciitis for several years.  I started
out going to a Podiatrist.  He made custom orthodics and gave me a
series of cortisone shots in the bottom of the foot - ouch!  Over the
period of a year this did absolutely nothing.

I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon.  While there are some surgical
options for this I felt surgery was a last resort.  I was very surprised
at his recommendations - I should never have had cortisone shots,
throw-out the insoles, and spend 45 minutes a day stretching.  He gave
me a sheet of lower back exercises and told me that I was too stiff all
the way from my back to my feet. I was very careful to do all the
stretches correctly and after about 3 months the pain was gone.

Good luck,
Don

Subject: [pct-l] Plantar fasciitis recovery

Like most subjects, this one has been discussed before, but I find a
live discussion much more appealing than an archive search. Besides,
there might be some new experiences out there. After a couple of years
of trying to fit in a thru hike, things are looking good for 2005.
But, this summer I developed a mild case of plantar fasciitis.  Kinda
feels like a bruised heel.  It never really hurt much, so I added some
Spenco inserts to my NB 805s and kept on hiking.  I did a bunch of
hikes over the summer, and my problem gradually disappeared and was
gone by September.  Then, a couple of weeks ago, it came back. Still
only a mild case, but it really worries me prior to a thru hike.  I'll
go see my doctor, but I'd like to hear some ideas or experiences
regarding PF recovery.

Thanks,
Don Wilson