[pct-l] Charles Barker

I don't think I ever met Charles Baker but coming over Mather and
down the Golden Staircase I met a hiker going up.  It was quite late
and he still had quite a distance to go to Lower Palisade.  We
stopped and chatted and he mentioned he had been out 35 days and his
watch battery was dead.  He told me that he would be 83 in three
days.  He would come out early and cached his supplies and spent the
entire summer hiking and fishing every year.  He had just come down
from a crosscountry knapsack trail and was lamenting that he had lost
a few steps in the past three years  He also mentioned that he still
had 'three caches' left and this was late August.  Quite an
inspiration.  There are some really amazing folk out there.

frank