[pct-l] Re: Westcoast Trail Help

Here is another link:
http://www.vancouverislandoutdoors.com/westcoasttrail/
I walked this trail in 2000. It was very beautiful. It is mostly rain
forest. Much of it can be walked on the beach or on the coral shelf at the
low end of the beach where the walking is easier. They regulate the number
of people starting at each end; I would suggest reserving a permit in
advance. When you do go, they will give you a map and tide tables. The
mileage will probably lead you to underestimate the time to walk it. It is
slow going because of mud with slippery roots buried just beneath the
surface and because of cable cars and one section with lots of ladders.
Nothing terribly strenuous or difficult, but speed is not likely. It was
one of the best and most beautiful hikes that I have ever done. You will
pass two manned light houses, ride two short ferries, ride 4 or 5 cable
cars, walk 4 or 5 suspension bridges, see lots of beautiful scenery and
probably get some rain. If you have questions, contact me off list and I
will be happy to answer them as best I can.
					Phil
P.S. Actually it starts on the west coast of the island about midway
north/south and goes south from there. It is not really at the northern end
of the island.