[pct-l] Long distance Hiking

Hi,

This may be a silly question, but what is the common hiker definition of a long distance hike?
I realize that "long distance" for one hiker may be a day hike for another, but is there an accepted yard stick?

Leo.From pmags at yahoo.com  Wed Nov  3 10:39:41 2004
From: pmags at yahoo.com (Paul Magnanti)
Date: Wed Nov  3 10:52:35 2004
Subject: [pct-l] Long distance hiking

I do not think there is any specific defintion, but a
good one would be any journey that requires a
re-supply along the way. It is a vague and fuzzy
defition (after all, the president of Go-Lite did the
Colorado Trail by carrying ALL his food with him for
20 days); but for most people it is good as any.

Mileage wise? ALDHA-West has a list of Long Distance
trails. http://www.aldhawest.org/trails/ot_def.asp

The smallest trail listed is the Pine Mtn Trail at 23
miles. But I, and many hikers, would not consider that
along distance hike. It is a day hike for a very
strong hiker or an easy overnighter.

I guess there is no conrete defintion. But it does
bring up a good discussion point. What do other people
consider a long distance hike?

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com