[pct-l] caloriic burn rate by body weight and activity

One of the purposes of my recent JMT trip was to establish a "personal burn
rate". I carefully noted my food's caloric content and weighed myself before and
after (or at least as soon "after" as I could). Based on previous experience, I
believed that I would need at least 4,000 cal/day to hike the trail in 16 days.
As it turned out, I didn't eat quite all of my food, and I lost about 3 lbs,
near as I can figure. Pack weight varied between 35 and about 17 lbs, I weigh
175 (6'0") and over an entire day I typically averaged about 2mph, sometimes a
little more. According to guidebook mileages/elevations, I averaged 13.6 mpd,
with 2500' gain/day. Temps were moderate overall, but there were three days of
32-50 degrees (high) and 20-25 degrees at night. The other nights were 32-40.

   --SteveP