[pct-l] Some help with my mother

Marshall is right...  Bears don't attack people except in specific
circumstances: (1) threatening a mother and her cubs, (2) being too
agressive and trapping the bear into a corner so that he thinks the
only way to escape is through you, (3) trying to get food away from a
bear, or giving him the idea that you want his food (very important
note: if a bear gets your food, its no longer *your* food).

Tell your mother the statistics about bear attacks in Yosemite (heard
from a ranger): to date, no one have ever been killed by a bear in
Yosemite. (14 people have been killed by deer in Yosemite, but you
might want to leave that part out for you mom.  no sense in creating
new fears :-).

As for the murders and rapes on the trail, Judson is right:  Much
greater chance of this happening at home.  Whenever it does happen in
the wilderness its such big news that it gets alot of press, which is
why people get the idea that this is a threat.  think about it...  if
you were a murderer and wanted to find someone to kill, would you spend
all the effort to hike way out into the wilderness and sit there
waiting for someone to possibly come along the trail alone??  wouldn't
it be alot easier to just to go a bar and pick up some lonley person
who wants to go home with anyone?

peace,
dude