From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Marshall
Karon
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 9:31 AM
To: Chris Willett; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net; Alexander F. Rigney
Subject: [BULK] - Re: [pct-l] feasability of a 4 month "late" hike

If you are strong enough to do it, getting to Canada in early September
can
be a plus because you probably would avoid the rains and cold in
Washington,
like this year.

Just be sure you are in good shape to start - lots of training before
you
take off. Except for the heat and water issues, the desert to Kennedy
Meadows is not that tough. The Sierras to Tuolumne Meadows are just
fabulous
scenery wise, but tougher because of the altitude and passes. The
section
between Tuolumne and Sonora Pass has many, many ups and downs - a
psychological downer because after the previous section you think
everything
gets easy - it doesn't. Oregon is a breeze. Washington once again has
many
ups and downs and is tougher. And then you are in Canada.

Go for it. The worst that happens is you have to get off earlier than
you
wanted. Then you have a good reason to do it again.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net