[pct-l] Re: the ulitmate bring list

Like I said everyone thinks their gear is the right stuff, and know two
backpackers use the same gear.

-------Original Message-------

From: Joseph Niemiec
Date: 09/19/04 16:37:27
To: crush@ptd.net; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: the ulitmate bring list

Ok so many of you have questions about what to bring... I'm going to let you
know exactly what to bring.  Follow this list and you will be super happy.
(I just finished the trail 18 days ago)
1.  henry shires tarp tent (2 person virga)
-This tent is THE shit.  everyone will have one because it is the only way
to go.  THe europa is crap.  The inside joke on the trail , if you didn't
have a tarp tent was "what would henry shires say?"  and "look at that
sloppy ridgeline"
-Truth be told, you won't need a tent up until oregon.  I had one or two
rain days in CA and they only lasted 10 minutes.
2. Western Mountaineering or Marmot 900 bag.  Down is the same quality  in
both bags. Even though western rates theirs at 850-- it is the same.
-You want to sleep as well as possible every night.  I bought the versalight
 it was perfect. I was warm when others were cold.  when it was too warm I
just shook the down to the bottom. (the year I bought it it was 15 degree
bag with no fill in the bottom part of the neck tube-it's a little different
now, I think it is now a 10 degree bag and is call the versalight super
cause they added down to that part)
3.  WEstern mountaineering flight jacket.. used during the high sierras...
- everyone wanted one.
4. don't use any stuff sacks
-Just line your bag with a trash compactor bag - just shove your sleeping
bag and clothes in there. (of course you'll need bags for your food and one
for tolietries)
5.  Sleep with your food.
-Kids listen.  I was fearful of this too when I first started so I bought a
bear bag (ursack).  truth is that bears are big ass racoons and aren't going
to come in your tent, but they will stay around all night to try to get food
out of trees. the only place you might want to hang you food is in
washington where mice will eat hole sin your tent and run around your head
to get to it.  ANd if you camp just before or just after yosemite.  I walked
past both of these areas in one day so still didn't use a canister or bear
bag.  Also many of us talked to billy goat- a legend who has hike the trail
like 5 times. He said the only place he won't sleep with his food is in the
immeadiate yosemite area.
- and pleeaaaase don't buy a bear canister.
6. Don't buy a nalgene bottle, use gatorade bottles and platypus bags.
-come on does this need any more explaination?  Lighter and both last
forever.
7. MSR titan kettle
-perfect size
8. pepsi can stove
OK, I covered the main stuff. and don't be a fool and get a pack any bigger
than a granite gear nimbus ozone.  most had smaller packs. and please don't
buy hiking boots. really.  You just want thick soled trail runners.
I'm out,
Mouse