[pct-l] Ice Axe Experience question

in 1998, i passesd a thru-hiker near Carson Pass who said that he not
only used his ice axe, but that the strap on his wrist saved is life
because he couldn't hold on to the axe

also, if you use the axe correctly, you should be using it BEFORE you
fall to cut steps in the snow so that you reduce your chances of
falling.  in addition, carrying the axe on a slope in you uphill hand
can mitigate falls before they get out of control so that they
are "slips" rather than "falls".  this has happened to me on numerous
occasions on and off the PCT.

good luck,
dude