[pct-l] Digital Cameras

shane wohlken wrote:

>I'm right now in the process of finding a good
>little digital camera that I can take along on
>the thru-hike.  I currently own a Kodak DC5000
>which is a hearty weather resistant camera that
>takes fine pics, but since it weighs in at 1 lb.,
>I've been looking at other options.  My criteria
>are pretty basic.
>
>Must haves:
>*Take AA batteries (just makes since on a trail
>like this).
>*Lighter than 1 lb. (lighter the better), but
>solid--I don't want a "toy" camera just to save
>the weight.
>*Use either compact flash, SD, or xD media card
>(I have a reader for these types).
>
>Bonus features that I would like, but aren't as
>essential:
>*Weather resistant.
>*3-4 megapixels (2 is fine, 5 is starting to eat
>up too much card space in my opinion).
>
>Some cameras I'm looking at:
>*Pentax Optio43WR (I'm impressed with the specs
>on this one, but some owners have complained of
>blurry pics).
>*Canon PowerShot A85 (Similar to the Pentax, but
>without the weather resistance.  Supposedly takes
>great pics).
>
>I would appreciate any thoughts on either of
>these two cameras, or any suggestions to check
>out a camera I didn't mention.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Shane

We love our Nisis Pocket DV4
4.1 megapixel
SD card up to 256
weighs much less than a pound
size of a pack of cigarettes  (4.2 x 2.7 x 1.6 inches)
stills and video with sound
plugs into computer or tv for viewing and downloading
lcd display
built in flash
excellent customer service
self timer
AA batteries
built in speaker and microphone
plays MP3
earphone jack

www.nisis.com

I am not a techie, I am reading this off the box!  But Ray has had great
results.
Marion