[pct-l] Boots support

Rick wrote:

I used to have problems with twisting my ankle while hiking, but have
not had any serious twisting since I started using two trekking poles.

Yeah, I've used two trekking poles for years and won't leave home
without them.  They do help a lot and that's one of the reasons I
decided to try trail runners last year.  I guess they don't help me
quite enough.  :=(

Shawnie wrote:

I had surgery on both my ankles after I hurt them very severely while
skateboarding.  I always wore hightops while skating but the ankle
support really comes from your ankle muscles and not your boots.  I hike
in runners.

For me anyway, my boots give me some additional support that my ankle
muscles don't provide.  But really the most important thing is that if I
do happen to roll my ankle (which happens occasionally even in boots)
the high leather collar saves me from the extreme flexion that leads to
permanent injury.

The other thing that's helped is custom orthotics.  I have a tendency to
walk on the outside edges of my feet which makes my ankles already
pre-primed for rolling.  I used Superfeet insoles for years and liked
them, but my podiatrist set me up with some custom-made ones that seem
to address that problem better.

Eric
Eric