[pct-l] Re tarp tent and Bivy

I have just come back to Idaho from six days and nights in the Wallowas
Mountains in the Cap
Peak Wilderness Area in what I would call Southern Oregon.  It was a
fantastic area and I had a great time, we made a big loop so experienced
lots of lake and mountains. We had all sorts of weather, first two days were
rain at night and sprinkles during the day, then one day it started snowing
(this made us think), then sunny days with freezing cold at night.

I had my tarp tent which I made from an 8 x 10 Campmor tart with netting
each end and zippers, using a piece of Tyvek for my ground sheet.  I used
this by myself.  My friend the Monk had a Gortex Bivy sack with a hood made
of netting and full gortex. I also used my WM Ultralight Sleeping Bag good
to 25 degrees.  This area proved to be very humid and my tarp tent after
being set up got condensation inside even before I got in it.  When the
weather got really cold all this turned to ice, which meant I had to get out
in the morning before the sun hit the tarp or I would have been rained on.
My sleeping bag proved not to be warm enough (this is the first time that
has happened to me) and I wore all my clothes to bed and a couple of nights
I wore my frog toggs also. If I went to sleep cold I stayed cold all night
long. Then I decided to make a hot water bottle from one of my platypus bags
and that seemed to do the trick for me in getting warm.

The Monk used his Gortex Bivy every night and the first two nights he set up
his Silnylon Poncho as a tarp, held up by hiking poles on the corners and
staked down along one side.  This worked good for him.  He put his pack in a
large trash bag.  He slept very comfortable every night, though I think his
bag has more down then mine, so must be rated lower. He had ice crystals or
frost all over the bivy every morning.  He enjoyed his bivy as this was his
first test with it.

So I guess it is to each his own.  I am still searching for something light
weight in the form of a tent that I can really have head room in and
hopefully no condensation. I have another Silnylon Virga used three times,
if interested contact me off line, will make a good deal.

I am so lucky to be out there hiking, no matter what the weather.

Cheers,
Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge