[pct-l] Sierra Footwear question

I went through the Sierras this year with running shoes and no ice axe.  I
normally did 2 passes a day and it usually worked out that one was late morning
and one was either mid afternoon or evening.  I had no problems kicking steps
in the reasonably soft snow. But this year was a low snow year.  Had it been
heavier i probably would have carried the ice axe.