[pct-l] Expedient Water Crossing

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 14:17, Ken Powers wrote:
> I did read several pages in this manual. It has lots of good, practical
> information. The rope method of crossing streams, however, doesn't appeal to
> me. And I don't think their advice of a heavier pack holding you down better
> is good advice either. A heavier pack just makes it harder for me to
> maintain my balance.

I think it does both. I've heard from several folks - usually
smaller/lighter women - that they do better crossing with their pack on
- helps hold them down onto the stream bed. At the same time, a higher
center of gravity is going to decrease stability. Increased weight =
increased coefficient of friction + increased moment about the pivot of
the feet.

Jim McEver