[pct-l] death of a hiker

I just wanted to add, and I'd like some others to chime in that have
similiar experiences:

Anyone who's been in the military knows that, if even for traning,
you're hauling around a 60-80 pound backpack that is far less
comfortable than anything on the civilian market. Excluding
backpackers, there are literally hundreds of thousands (if not
millions) of people in this world (some of which are lightweight
women) running around with packs weighing easily half (if not more) of
their own body weight. You cross rivers, jump from things, crawl, etc.
And I learned a heck of a lot more from wilderness travel than I did
from the military about how to do most of those things, so I don't see
this as an issue of training.

I weigh 180, and with a heavy pack, machine gun, armor, and
ammunition, I was easily running around plenty of times with over 90
pounds of crap all over me, not to mention in some rather harsh
climates.

>From my prospective, the mistake that this rather young, attractive,
and experienced outdoorsperson made was just being by herself, where
the margin of error is cut down instantly.

In all the hiking books, even the hikers that go by themselves all the
time (Colin Fletcher, etc), they still make the disclaimer of "look,
if you mess up even an inch, it can cost you your life."

I'm not sure why pack weight is coming more into this equation than
solo hiking; my guess would be because a lot of us (myself included)
do solo frequently, so maybe we don't want to attribute something that
we all do as a reason someone died rather needlessly.

But I'll risk a heavy pack, or a light pack, or no pack, with a group
of other experienced individuals, to being solo with all the correct
weight / equipment, if we're just talking about safety. Sprain an
ankle two weeks from a trailhead in remote wilderness, and you very
easily might end up on the evening news yourself.

If her pack had been lighter by ten pounds, it sounds like a bit of a
stretch to say she'd be fine. Or twenty pounds for that matter. People
drown in rivers wearing no packs all the time. But it's pretty rare
for someone to drown in a river with their experienced friend holding
a line for them on the shore, and for the person who crosses to return
the favor when they themselves reach the far side.

Again, I don't mean to be disrespectful or in anyway join the peanut
gallery of "what if's", but it just seemed like there was a bit of an
elephant in the corner.

Eric