[pct-l] Golite/GVP (was no-subject)

This is quickly moving away from the original subject, but regarding 8 liters or
not, I think it probably depends on the temps and one's physiology/personal
preferences about how hydrated they like to be.

I find that even though I'm camelling up before my training hikes (8 hours,
3000-4000 feet of gain and similar loss in 75-80 degrees), drinking 1/2 liter
per hour and still ending up pretty dry. I'd hate to do that in 95 degrees then
cook, then do another 4-6 hours the next day on a total of six liters (not
saying it can't be done, just saying based on my testing so far, I'd prefer to
have the extra water). Also, I note from various trail journals that those who
don't rely on caches tend to carry (at times) between 6 and 8 liters and are
mighty glad they did.

As to where to put the bottles, I know you can cram them into a pack; the
question is, what's it like to carry the resulting load? I prefer to have very
little weight on my shoulders, so the water (and other heavy stuff) needs to be
very close to a line that drops vertically through the pivot point of the pack
(where it rests on the small of the back) in order not to pull the pack away
from the back thus putting more of a load on the shoulders. Some packs have the
side pockets located such that the bottles end up farther aft than they should
be (from a balance point of view), some side pockets don't hold 2-liter bottles,
etc. I'm planning to put the 2L bottles in the side pockets (close to the
balance line), my 2L platy w/sip tube  and a 2L soda bottle in the top of the
pack, stacked near my back. Tests so far have shown that packed this way, with
the rest of my gear and food, the pack is almost perfectly balanced. That is, I
can set it on the floor, angle it forward about 10 degrees (the angle of my back
as I hike) and it balances almost by itself. This results in no load on my
shoulders, other than that required to hold the pack to my back.

Other people, of course, prefer (or are willing) to take more of the load on
their shoulders, and for them, this delicate balancing nonsense is unnecessary.
--Steve